top of page

Educational leave NRW

The regulations on educational leave ("Arbeitnehmerweiterbildung") differ depending on the federal state. For the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, educational leave is regulated in the NRW Employee Training Act (AWbG).
The decisive factor for these regulations is not your place of residence, but the place where you work.

What is funded and how?

Employees can apply for educational leave once a year to participate in vocational or political continuing education.

The learning event comprises at least 5 days (with at least 6 teaching hours per day).

During the educational leave, the employee is released from work, but the salary is paid during this time.The costs of the training are borne by the employee.

Who is entitled to apply for educational leave?

One should be employed by an employer for at least six months. The legal entitlement only exists if at least ten employees are employed by the respective employer.

How can I apply for educational leave?

The employer should be informed as early as possible (at least six weeks before the start of the educational event). The information on the planned further education must be provided in writing. We will be happy to provide you with this information during our counselling interview!

bottom of page